Colorlines posted a blog that debunks five myths about race and crime. (This makes me think back to graduate school where even there, people LOVED the pathologizing label of “Black on Black” crime and were unwilling to challenge why they thought this was uniquely pathological. I always challenged it.)
So here is the truth:
1) Most crime is intraracial. That is, most Whites that are killed are killed by Whites. Most Blacks that are killed are killed by Blacks. “Black on Black” crime is no more “extra” pathological than “White on White” crime. You see that? “White on White crime.” Sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it? It is not a coincidence that no one uses that phrase.
2) Crime is down sharply; it is not increasing.
3) Justice is NOT applied equally. (Most Black Americans already knew this.)
4) Black kids do not have more behavioral problems, but are punished more harshly for the same behaviors of White kids.
5) Most Black youths are not committing crimes.
Check out the original post for graphics that illustrate these points.