I recognize the amazing work that many Black men who are intersectional feminists engage in and like bell hooks mentioned, I speak about that good work and don’t pretend that there are no Black men interested in such work.
However, I am NOT going to be silent on the impact of intraracial sexism, misogynoir and patriarchal thinking by Black men and its impact on my own life, Black women or the Black community. I have never been silent on this. Further, I am always interested in discussing it within the larger context of White supremacist capitalist patriarchy and kyriarchy itself because I don’t believe in arbitrary, de-contextualized blaming, as that is not analysis or Womanist work.
Like bell hooks wrote:
Everyone seems eager to forget that it is possible for Black women to love Black men and yet unequivocally challenge and oppose sexism, male domination and phallocentrism.
Below are some of my essays that I’ve written on this topic, some highly personal and others examine my experiences and Black women’s in a larger context.
- Black Male “Relationship Counselors” On Twitter Have Taken A Turn For The Worst
- Nice Guys™ and Race
- Black Men, Patriarchal Masculinity and Django Unchained
- Black Masculinity, Dating, and Twitter
- Black Women’s “Unreasonable” Dating Standards
- Submissive Is A Noun Now?
- I Don’t Have To Know You To Care
- Patriarchy Is Not Logical, Boo
- Patriarchal Thinking Is Hypocritical Thinking
- Here’s The Deal…
- “Lame” vs. “Thug”
- When Silencing Tactics Hit Home
- Look Somewhere Else. Ugh.
- I…Just Wanted To Take Your Picture
- Who Hates Black Men? Who Indeed…
- Race, Gender and Violence
- 2 Bad Dates, 2 Mediocre Dates, 2 Great Dates
- Delusions of Black Patriarchy
- How Internalized White Supremacy Ruined a Black-Owned Small Business
- A Tale Of Two Men
- The Faux “Allies” of Black Men
- The Truth About Black Love
- No…Your Educational Level Isn’t The Issue At The Moment…
- Not Interested In Patriarchal Labels For Women…
- Submission? Nope. Kthanxbai.
- Why People Listen To Steve Harvey’s Advice (Ugh…)
- Are You Sure He’s That…”Great?”
- A Great Compliment From A Man…
- Black “Conscious” Rappers and White Liberals Remind Me Of Each Other
- The Word “Unity” Has Become Funny
- A Core Problem That Black Women Face In Regards To Domestic Violence
- “But…We Look…Alike…”
- Why I Don’t Like Tyler Perry’s Work
- Politics and The Blackness Police
- Social Justice and Cultural Hierarchy
- Me. Black Men. Street Harassment. White Audience.
- That Awkward Moment When A 4 Year Old Boy Attempts Street Harassment (I write a lot about street harassment and race, because I experience it every single day and primarily [though not exclusively] by Black men.)
Related Essay List: On Race…