If my life was a story (well it is—all of our lives are—but I mean as a medium) and I could have a narrator speak the story, here’s who I’d choose to narrate the story (based on how they speak and the tone and texture of their voices).
- Sweet Honey In The Rock
- Maya Angelou
- Toni Morrison
- James Earl Jones
- Shohreh Aghdashloo
- Benedict Cumberbatch
- Tom Hiddleston
- Morgan Freeman
- Alan Rickman
- Laylah Hathaway
- Patrick Stewart
- Ian McKellen
If they could sing my life, I would choose:
- Janelle Monae
- Laura Mvula
- Esperanza Spalding
- Valerie June
- Amber Riley
- Erykah Badu
- Chrisette Michele
- Emeli Sandé
I stuck to living artists for this because obviously I would need Shirley Chisholm to speak my life and Whitney Houston to sing it. That’s fairly obvious. :)
Mikki Kendall (@Karnythia)
A quote from her incredible article on RH Reality Check, For Black Women, Everything Is a Feminist Issue. Part of it is a response to the Politico article that called Michelle Obama a “feminist nightmare.” Yeesh. The racism in feminism remains and she deconstructed it well in this article. Motherhood for Black women MATTERS and if Black women are going to be praised when raising White children (you know, what happened for centuries and still does; many White feminists have women of colour as their nannies as they admonish Michelle Obama for mothering her own children) and shamed when raising their own, then we’re talking about White supremacy, not any movement that can empower Black women. Read this whole article!
- Me: "Hiddles is so gorgeous!"
- Them: "Wow, I would love to suck his cock."
- Me: "Edward Norton is so talented; he's always amazing in his movies."
- Them: "I wanna fuck a blond guy."
- Me: "Benedict Cumberbatch SLAYS as Sherlock. Some of his acting roles are terrible (i.e. hell naw Khan and Assange, ICK), but in that show, he is a god."
- Them: "He has a great voice. I would love to hear it while fucking him on the set of Sherlock."
- Me: "Idris Elba did the damn thing as Heimdall in the Loki films!"
- Them: "*replies with nude photos of other men who aren't Idris*"
- Me: "I had a great relationship with someone wonderful some years ago--maybe was the love of my life; but of course not every relationship is sexual in nature. You've read what I've written on asexuality, so you know."
- Them: "So...how often did you fuck?"
- Me: "Cishet man. Cis man. Trans man. Masculine-appearing genderqueer person."
- Them: "Fuck fuckington, sex sexdipity doo dah day."
- Me: "I love getting my hair washed at a salon. I had a great Black male stylist recently."
- Them: "I almost came once at a salon by being touched. Salons make me horny! Touch me, tease me, kiss me and caress me, hold me tight don't let go, baby I'm about to explode, cause all my love you can control. Here I am, rock you like a hurricane!"
- Me: "Oh, Simon Baker from The Mentalist is #mywhiteboo."
- Them: "So...by 'boo' you mean you want to fuck him as a groupie?"
- Me: "Sure aces can make sexual jokes, many people do. But sometimes we might want to have a conversation about other aspects of a person, just like you do...right?"
- Them: "Cock. Penis. Twat. Vagina. If you were really sex positive, you would accept a sexual reply to any and all tweets that mention men. Prude!"
- Me: "*bangs head on desk while wishing it was possible to not have every reply to my tweets about someone male be about fucking*"
- Them: "Sex."
- Me: "*dives off cliff with parachute*"
- Them: "*follows me while yelling 'Seeeeeeex!'*"